Fast Moving Consumer Goods FMCG Sector
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- To manage all engineering activities in the safest manner possible, in line with all company processes and legislation;
- To manage the all resources and activities to support the company across mechanical electrical services and project needs.
- Personally, and through your team lead all maintenance and breakdown projects on site.
- To keep up to date with all relevant regulatory and statutory requirements and ensure compliance through administering effective monitoring systems, recording/checking/filing of certification and auditing regimes.
- To manage onsite maintenance teams as well as all external contractors.
- To assist the Head of Site Business Services / Head of Manufacturing through the provision of expert advice and to carry out preventative maintenance inspections.
- To deal effectively with difficult situations and to assist the Head of Site Business Services / Head of Manufacturing to resolve which may arise from time to time, in a professional and collaborative manner.
- To be an active contributing member of the site business team and deliver improvements across the 5 key metrics
- To investigate and respond to complaints and enquiries in accordance with service standards.
- To manage with the help of the site SHE manager the full utilisation of the PTW, Confined spaces, LOTO, Pressure Systems, PAT testing and all other legal and best practice safety systems
- To improve site OEE year on year on all production lines
- To manage the engineering spend for the site
Skills and Ability
- Expert knowledge of all aspects of mechanical and electrical maintenance.
- Successful track record of technical expertise, preferably in the food manufacturing sector.
- Strong project management and leadership skills.
- Proficiency in IT and an understanding of the value and use of new technologies/ automation in improving services.
- A commitment to excellent service delivery.
- Current knowledge of up-to-date Health & Safety legislation.
- Strong financial and budgetary skills.
- The ability to effectively communicate, orally and in writing, with individuals at all levels on both a one to one and group basis.
- The ability to analyse data and achieve high levels of productivity, quality and cost-effectiveness.
- An individual willing to attend meetings as required, some of which may be outside normal working hours.
Experience / Qualifications To have successfully obtained the following;
- Third level or formal qualification in an Electrical, Electromechanical or Mechanical discipline
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a relevant or related industry.
- Fluent English with excellent communication both verbal and written, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and keenly focused on time management,
- Able to make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- An inclusive person, who seeks realisation of goals and results through working in partnership with others.
- Possess enthusiasm, drive and determination.
- Influential and persuasive but also able to listen and develop ideas from others.
- Personal commitment to the company values and objectives, promoting a culture of continuous service improvement.
- Act as a leader, trainer, mentor and work positively and inclusively with colleagues.
- To ensure your team have greater specific knowledge than yourself so that they can deliver the highest possible service to the factory.
Maintenance Engineer(mechanical and electrical)
Salary Depending on experience
Summary of role
The Shift Maintenance Engineer is responsible for the execution of the preventive and corrective maintenance programme. They will be required to work a shift rota as required.
Core job responsibilities:
- Ensure that plant machinery and the equipment are maintained and available for production at all times.
- Perform scheduled and unscheduled maintenance tasks in accordance with site policies and procedures.
- Ensure Machinery, facilities and equipment are utilised efficiently;
- Design implement maintain and improve electrical and mechanical instrumentation, equipment, facilities, components and systems throughout the site.
- Proactively work with Production, Quality Assurance, outside contractors and all other relevant parties to discuss, agree, plan and implement engineering solutions to operational issues as they arise.
- Utilising structured troubleshooting and problem-solving method to resolve equipment issues;
- Display engineering and technical leadership and specialisation by acting as 'Champion' and leading improvement initiatives across shifts and functions;
- Provide input on equipment installation, start-up, operation and troubleshooting to support introduction of new products into sustaining operations;
- Maintenance and trouble-shooting as part of the maintenance team of all mechanical systems / machine set ups;
- Ensure that planned preventative maintenance is attended to in an efficient manner to minimise downtime;
- Assist Head of Maintenance and team in the update of Standard Operating Procedures and ensure Training is carried out with production teams as and when required;
- To ensure supervisors and managers are made aware of any problems relating to maintenance and that appropriate actions are taken immediately;
- To follow all company procedures relating to work instructions and the wearing of appropriate PPE;
- Completion of all related documentation in compliance with site and regulatory rules and guidelines;
- Shift working is required. The shift pattern may be varied according to business requirements and will typically require weekend working and periodic rotation between day and night shifts;
- To work in a flexible and organised manner.
- Inspect all completed installations / works to ensure compliance with correct operational procedures and safety standards,
- Safety comes first. You have a responsibility in your role to ensure the safety of yourself, and the employees and members of the public. The use of safety equipment such as lock out tag outs, safety barriers, appropriate signage etc. must always be in place as part of the organisation and planning undertaken prior to starting work. Identifying and communicating potential hazards to the Head of Maintenance and flagging the need for risk assessments etc. is an important element of the job.
- Compliance with HACCP regulations will be a consistent requirement for all maintenance work carried out on site as is an awareness of the potential risk of food contamination.
Qualifications/ Education / Training
- At least 3 years’ experience in an Electrical or Mechanical maintenance role in a fast-paced production environment.
- Candidates should have completed a recognised apprenticeship or hold a formal qualification in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Computer literacy - Microsoft Word / Excel / Outlook/Report writing/trouble shooting and a willingness to learn and upskill will form an important part of this role
- Safe Pass
For more information: